Facebook Hero Finds Child Who Has Been Missing Since December 23, 2018. Arranges His Safe Return to Mom
Far Rockaway, Queens: Samuel Butler, a 14 year-old Far Rockaway teen who has been missing for more than a week was found today at the Atlantic Mall, Brooklyn by off duty Corrections Officer, Rena Watts. Officer Watts had just finished her shift and decided to do some shopping. She noticed a teen looking into the window of Game Stop and recognized him from a Facebook post that had been shared from community advocate Tony Herbert’s page. Watts walked over to the teen and engaged him in conversation. He told her he was hungry and thirsty so Watts bought him something to eat.
Said Watts, “I recognized him from Facebook and asked him if his name was Samuel. He told me that it was and I told him that I was glad he was safe and that he should call home because people were looking for him. I did my best to establish trust. I bought him something to eat and drink and we spoke for a while. I noticed an MTA police officer nearby so I asked Samuel to watch my bags, hoping that he would agree to help me since I was helping him. He agreed and I slipped away to try to find the phone number on the press release posted on Facebook. There is not cell service in the mall so I had to step outside, but before I did I informed the MTA police officer that the missing boy was watching my bags.
“I was able to reach Tony Herbert who in turn contacted Detectives at the 78th Precinct. When I returned, Samuel was speaking with MTA Sergeant Victor Cabrarian who was able to contact Samuel’s mother and arrange to get him home.”
Said Tony Herbert, “I am overjoyed that Samuel is back home with his mother and I am beyond grateful to Officer Watts and Sergeant Cabrarian. These two law enforcement officers have proven that they are never truly off duty. Officer Watts went above and beyond to ensure that Samuel was returned to his mother. She established trust, thought quickly and acted cautiously. All after completing an overnight shift at the Manhattan House of Detention. She continued to work with us well into the morning until Samuel was returned safely to him mom. We all owe her a debt of gratitude.
“I also want to give a shout out to the Facebook community. 188 people shared the post over a 19 hour period which is how Officer Watts was able to see it. That underscores my point that Amber Alerts should be sent out immediately after a child is reported missing to the police. People power is a tremendous resource.”
Herbert is calling Officer Watts a true New York hero and has already begun reaching out to Correction officials to ask that they recognize her actions.
Said Officer Watts, “I am just thankful that Samuel is back home. He is an intelligent and respectful young man.”
Samuel’s mother, Sabrena Butler reported the teen missing at approximately 5pm on December 23, 2018 after he failed to return home from cashing in cans at Shop Fair Supermarket. No Amber Alert went out.
Herbert wants lawmakers to mandate that Amber Alerts be sent out minutes after a child under 16 is reported missing. “Nearly 1,000 children have been recovered thanks to the Amber Alert program so it only makes sense to use the program whenever a child is reported missing. By removing the subjectivity from the process and issuing alerts for every child under 16 who is reported missing, we increase the chances of the child being found and returned unharmed.”
The AMBER Alert Program is a voluntary partnership between broadcasters, transportation agencies, law enforcement agencies, and the wireless industry to activate an urgent bulletin in the most serious child abduction cases. NCMEC serves as the secondary distributor of these alerts and, to date, 941 children have been successfully recovered as a result of the AMBER Alert program, including 55 recoveries credited to the wireless emergency alert program.
Ms. Butler said she was eternally grateful for Samuel’s safe return.Read More
TONY HERBERT, COMMUNITY ACTIVIST AND CANDIDATE FOR NYC PUBLIC ADVOCATE WANTS TASK FORCE TO DEAL WITH UPTICK IN RAPE
Herbert says Mayor, City Council and District Attorneys are sending a message that NYC is soft on crime.
Far Rockaway, NY: Tony Herbert, founder of Advocates Without Borders and candidate for Public Advocate called on Mayor de Blasio and Council Speaker Corey Johnson to create a task force to learn why rape is on the rise.
Said Herbert, “This is the third time in 2 weeks that I am asking residents to come forward to help police find a man who attacked and raped a woman – this time in Far Rockaway Queens.
“Because woman have the courage to come forward, we now understand that New York City is experiencing a rise in rape crime, yet leaders have not unveiled a plan to deal with this violent crime. Today I am calling on Mayor de Blasio and Council Speaker Corey Johnson to convene a task force that includes Criminal Psychologists, Law Enforcement, District Attorneys, Judges and Corrections Officers to investigate why New York City is experiencing this spike in rape and come up with a plan to deal with it.
“Advising women to stay alert and change their behavior is unacceptable. Women are entitled to walk the streets of this city at any hour without worrying that they will be sexually assaulted. It’s time for the Mayor, the City Council and the District Attorneys to look inward at the policies they have put in place to assess whether they need to be tweaked.”
Herbert is concerned that the decision not to prosecute low level crimes and the release without bail of suspects charged with misdemeanor crimes has emboldened violent criminals.
“Saturday morning a good samaritan intervened in the attempted abduction of an 11 year old child by Relyn Estrada, a 40 year old registered level 1 sex offender. He actually smiled for the cameras as the police took him away in handcuffs. As a society we must send the message that violence against women, children or anyone is unacceptable and we won’t tolerate it. I believe the Mayor, City Council and certain District Attorney’s who refuse to prosecute low level crimes are sending a message that New York City is soft on crime.”Read More
Testimony of Anthony (Tony) Herbert, Candidate for NYC Public Advocate, MTA Fare Hike Hearing 2019
Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5-8pm
Good evening and thank you for giving me the opportunity to testify about your plans to force poor New Yorkers to spend more money for less services.
My name is Tony Herbert and I am the founder of Advocates without Borders Network and a candidate for New York City Public Advocate.
I want to begin by stating that neither of the options you are proposing are acceptable because both will force riders to pay more for less. Basic business protocol and logic tells us to change or eliminate elements of a business plan that aren’t working, but when something isn’t working at the MTA, your protocol is to ask riders to pay more.
That practice is mind boggling – especially when you consider that the reason that you want to raise fares is because ridership is down. Ridership is down, because MTA subway and bus service stinks. Because the service stinks, New Yorkers are turning to ride sharing programs such as Uber and Lyft to get them from point A to point B. These private companies have been able to do something that the MTA – with all of its staff and with a multibillion dollar budget cannot – provide convenient, dependable service at prices that are affordable.
Now that more and more people have traded in their Metro Card for ride sharing app, the MTA is cutting back service and asking riders to pay more.
Let me make it plain – this fare hike will impact our poorest New Yorkers because they do not earn enough to qualify for a credit or debit card so they can’t utilize a rideshare app.
Let me make my point with numbers. Your lowest fare structure will cost New Yorkers $1,500 per year – that’s if the person can afford to purchase a monthly Metro Card at $125 per month. Now consider this – at minimum wage a New Yorker will take home approximately $25,000 per year. With an average rent of $1500 per month or $18,000 per year – the minimum wage earner is left with about $580 per month. Take out the $125 you want for a monthly Metro Card and that leaves the minimum wage earner just over $450 a month to pay for food, utilities, clothing and everything else involved with living life in New York City. Could you live on that?
Minimum wage earners are trapped into paying whatever price the MTA decides to charge. So let’s call this hearing what it is – the MTA picking the pockets of New York’s poorest residents.
With all due respect, I am opposed and you should be too.Read More
Statement by Tony Herbert, Community Activist and Candidate for Public Advocate on the City Council’s bill to abolish the Public Advocate’s Office
Brooklyn, NY: Community Activist and candidate for Public Advocate, Tony Herbert issued the following statement in response to Council Members Yeger, Torres, Gjonaj and Diaz Sr. bill that would abolish the office.
Said Herbert, “The fact that these City Council Members are moving to abolish the office is the very reason why the people need a Public Advocate. For years the nearly half million people living in public housing have been living without basic services such as working elevators, running waters, toilets that flush and much worse. For years I have been fighting to get attention on the matter and for years the City Council and the Mayor have ignored our cries. The condition of public housing is only one of our big problems. New Yorkers battle everyday with subways that don’t work, buses stuck in traffic jams, insane property taxes and water bills, and an overpowering homeless population born from an underserved mental health and drug addicted population.”
With a nearly $90 Billion budget, the claim that they want to eliminate the office of Public Advocate – the people’s watchdog – to save several million dollars sounds a bit fishy to me. “When the New York City Council can deliver a safe, affordable New York free of homelessness, drug addiction, child abuse and dilapidated public housing, only then can we begin discussing the abolition of the Public Advocate’s office. Until then, I suggest they get to work on fixing this city for their constituents instead of engaging in folly.”
Herbert is calling on New Yorkers to call their City Council Members to express their dissatisfaction.
Tony Herbert, founder of Advocates without Borders says de Blasio and fellow “progressives” aren’t doing enough to protect New Yorkers
Alexis Kearse, widow of 35-year-old Tyree Walker who was shot in the head Tuesday
Tony Herbert, founder Advocate without Borders | Candidate for NYC Public Advocate
Reverend Dwayne Loadholt, Living Water Christian Center, Brooklyn
Widow and family are asking anyone with information about the shooter who killed 35-year-old Tyree Walker outside the Sumner Houses to come forward to help police in their investigation. Walker is the second Bedford Stuyvesant man to be shot and killed in a week. A third man and a Bronx girl have also been injured in gunfire this week. Advocates without Borders is offering $1000 reward for information.
Said Tony Herbert, “The mixture of drugs and illegal handguns are causing our streets to become a war zone. The “progressive” philosophy espoused by the leaders and judges of New York City is sending a message to criminals that they can get away with just about anything. Our police are doing their best to keep our streets safe but they need partners to support them. When District Attorneys refuse to prosecute people suspected of committing low level crimes, and judges are releasing suspects on their own recognizance, the community is forced to become prisoners in their own homes to escape the violence taking place on the streets.
“We must do better. I am calling on our “progressive” elected officials to adopt a mandatory sentence of 10 years for anyone possessing an illegal firearm. Progress should not leave anyone behind – so why are the people living in low income neighborhoods across this city being shot, wounded, raped and killed for going about their daily business?”
In front of 979 Myrtle Avenue, Brooklyn
Today, 2pmRead More
Tony Herbert Joins Community Leaders to Encourage Residents to Come Forward with Information After 20 year Old is Raped in Brownsville Says Mayor’s Policies are Making New York City Unsafe for Women
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Using a coffin and body bags to make their point, angry demonstrators rallied in City Hall Park on Wednesday to demand that Mayor Bill de Blasio try new tactics to curb the city’s soaring murder rate.
As CBS2’s Marcia Kramer reported, New York City has seen a nearly 20 percent increase in homicides so far this year.
“There’s too many people dying in the city of New York, and I’m under the premise of conversation with a number of leaders in our community who feel that this mayor is not sensitive to those that are dying in our neighborhoods,” community activist Tony Herbert said.Read More